View Single Post
Old 2012-05-13, 03:52   Link #28801
Vnonymous

My biggest objection to the Genius battler theory is that it directly contradicts the narration -
Quote:
"Yeah, it's true. I had been planning to make Battler actually alive, and then to have him slip out of the guest room, resulting in his disappearance and in the placement of the letter. However, if I revise the scenario now that my move's been spotted, it'll be the same as admitting that it was spotted. Even if I have to be stubborn about it, I don't want to admit that I was seen through here. I don't want to acknowledge a pathetic plot change where I try to sneak out of the guest room and break the seals. I want......to change over to a different trick, so that the letter will be placed and my corpse will be hidden... while still preserving the seals on the guest room..."
Ryukishi bends the truth a lot, but he never outright lies to you in Umineko, and for good reason(it'd completely destroy the entire "game"). Battler is surprised by Erika going for the logic error because he thought that she was just trying to play the game, and even Featherine talks about how Battler's forced revision is a problem - which means that she would be lying about it as well. Lambdadelta, who is impartial in her judgements acknowledges that Battler's original plan was the one Erika saw through. This means not only that Battler fooled Lambda and Bern(which I can believe), but that he fooled Featherine and Ange, who he doesn't even know exist and can read his mind!

Secondly, Battler's pre-murder-reveal solution isn't incredibly mundane - he hides in the closet, Erika goes and checks the bathroom because it sounds like something is happening in there, and while she's distracted Battler leaves. That's a perfectly valid trick considering Erika isn't the detective anymore, and it'd fit just fine in games 1-4 - the Battler from episodes 1-4 would have been completely flummoxed. He's forced to keep changing and changing his trick because he continually underestimated Erika(both her intelligence and her willingness to "go the extra mile", so to speak).

And the answer to "why three rooms" is the one that Erika points out - he stops short of giving her enough tape to prevent all of the corpses from the first twilight pulling a disappearing act. As for the retroactive killing, Battler was entirely aware that Erika had inspected the corpses. He was just stunned when he discovered that her inspection involved a murder. Also, he wasn't surprised about Erika going for a logic error at all - his exact reaction is "...........I know. ......So, you're after a logic error." which doesn't sound all that surprising to me.

Last edited by Vnonymous; 2012-05-13 at 03:53. Reason: Extraneous punctuation.
Vnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote