View Single Post
Old 2012-11-14, 19:46   Link #114
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I wonder if anyone who follows this stuff enough can pinpoint precisely the exact point in time when Newtype went from a sci-fi mecha anime and manga themed rag made in part to promote Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam to a predominantly moe themed rag with a secondary legacy sci-fi fan readership.

Anyway yeah for the reasons you stated above it's best not to take all that much from these polls other than to see which trends and shows are still popular are not. For the foreseeable future the criteria you mentioned seem pretty much like locks if not outright rules and guidelines which the readership have agreed to follow. It's really not about what character is "best" per se, but what character is representative of the types of shows that are most popular with the readership. That's why with rare exception you'll almost always see the main male and female lead from a given series even if many might argue that they aren't the "best" character in the show. For me the time when I take the most notice of these polls now is when I come across one and a character that I would never ever suspect to be in one has a placement. Like Kotetsu T. Kaburagi, what in the ever loving heck is he doing there? Movies? Even still he probably fits the mold the least of anyone in the male poll by far.
Good points. That's basically how I see it too.

As for Kotetsu, my guess is that he's there because Tiger and Bunny is a quasi-mecha show that appeals to fans of the legacy mecha titles (Gundam Seed, Macross Frontier, and Code Geass).

Modern NewType is like half-mecha/half-conventional moe (especially KyoAni style).