View Single Post
Old 2013-08-04, 12:45   Link #25
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Why not? In nearly all cases where an old thread is brought back from the dead it seems as if very few people note the time stamps. The majority begin to respond to the original posts (usually the first post, in some cases one of the first five or so). That original post may be outdated, yet the newer post is grouped into it just because the overall idea is similar.

Personally, I wish that we could apply something like this to the entire forum. If a thread hasn't been touched in a year, maybe two, then lock it. New discussions that take place within old threads cause many people to respond to the original posts, yet many of the original posters are either not active or are no longer following the thread. The discussion theme may be the same, but because of chronology and the shift in participants they are distinct conversations and it makes little sense to have them grouped together.
I more or less agree with this.

I don't care about it a big deal, but I've never been a fan of how Anime Suki favors necro-posting over creating brand new threads, more or less for the reasons that you've just laid out Ledgem.

If a thread is inactive for a year or more, it automatically gets locked. This is an idea I would support on a forum-wide basis (maybe with the exception of episode threads, for fairly obvious reasons). At the very least, I think it would be helpful for the Suggestions thread for the reasons that both you and Daniel E. allude to.