View Single Post
Old 2009-12-30, 00:25   Link #88
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
I remember hearing recently (and I can't remember if it was Funimations online panel or the ANN podcast that interviewed the head of RightStuf/Nozomi, both a few weeks back) and one of them said that there is less incentive for companies to license shows that are already online since, well, all the episodes are there so why would people want to buy the DVDs? This means the companies really have to make sure they have extras or other features on the DVDs that aren't available online. Plus, CR has a number of shows that are licensed (like Last Exile and Gankutsuou) on the site as well, but that could just be that CR got the streaming rights while the DVD distributor didn't I suppose.
But practically, that's a really naive viewpoint.

All the shows are available online streaming, always. The only difference is whether there is a _legal_ streaming method or whether it's only fansubs.

So are you going to argue that only legal streams decrease the likelihood of people buying the DVDs? The number of people who watch the legal streams still tends to be less than the overall piracy numbers...
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote