View Single Post
Old 2011-03-05, 01:30   Link #1031
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Alto needed to get over his issues and make peace with his family, his past and everything he was running for. Ranka doesn't provide him anything but a false fantasy, an escape.
Sheryl was the one who provided him that. He grew in maturity thanks to their relationship. To all the sacrifices they made for each other's sake.

Quote:
Ranka idolizes Sheryl because she's been her aspiration for longer than even Alto. Ranka has a crush on Alto.
Having a "crush" is just that: idealization. Ranka created a perfect image in her mind of Alto that didn't match the reality. She faced reality in episodes 20 and 21.

Quote:
But despite probably even knowing this, Alto gives her inspiration. His dream of flying in Ep3 gives her the strength feel power when singing. It is also what makes her start singing.
And Sheryl inspired and encouraged both of them in the beginning. Seems as if the triangle should have been Ranka-> Sheryl <- Alto going by your standards.

Quote:
In a way, Alto should love her more than Sheryl because she does something for him rather than wanting to help him gain something. It is because Ranka sang for Alto on his birthday that the Zentradi put down their weapons, not Sheryl.
So...? Sheryl gave him the sky (and she didn't mind that Ranka took her place as long he was happy, she could have suspended the trip). Sheryl gave him her precious family heirloom (often regarded as a promise of MARRIAGE in traditional Japanese families like Alto's was and he took it, unless I'm mistaken. Although I doubt Sheryl knew that XD ).

Sheryl would have sung if she wasn't sick. She sings to Alto (and for Frontier) when she's agonizing to protect everything. While Ranka was playing (unwillingly) Sharon Apple to Alto's Isamu, she was pulling a Myung.

Quote:
Also, when Alto can help Sheryl, like in Ep12 when she falls down the stairs of the ship, he doesn't. Instead, he waits until she's already in bed to make a move. Whilst, when Ranka falls to her knees, Alto is at her side in an instant. His priorities are completely 360 when it comes to Ranka.
Sheryl by episode 12 is still affronting and playing strong. Was this fall a super-world crashing one? No. Same with Ranka, superficial stuff like that? Easy to play. It doesn't demand a sacrifice from him. I see a 11-years-old-looking girl like Ranka (I'm choosing that age since it's Mao Nome's age and Ranka's body/features are... like that) is tripping down and the first instinct is go help the defenseless child. While a mature woman? She can stand on her own.

The bottom line is. To whom Alto makes the sacrifices that matter?

Ranka, in her hour of need, what did Alto want to do for her (until Sheryl persuaded him)? Nuke her. For his love to Frontier.

Sheryl, in her hour of need, what did Alto want to do for her (until Sheryl, again, tells him off)? Stay by her side. Always. Telling her it's okay to stop singing, being fully aware that's helping Frontier.

Quote:
Otherwise, even in Ep20, Alto protects Ranka when a blast lands on the ground by them, even knowing Sheryl might be injured or killed. Then he looks rather upset by the fact Sheryl is in danger, because his desire to save Ranka overrode his reasons for protecting Sheryl.
Hmmm.... His desire to save Frontier and do his duty did that. Sheryl knows that they have to do their jobs. She knows and encourages him to continue. Alto (at this point) begins trusting Sheryl as an equal. While Ranka is completely zooned out and babysat by the two of them (until she tried to break it off in episode 21, sadly it works badly... because she was captured and had to be rescued by them). Had his "desire to save Ranka" overode him beyond his duty? He would have traveled with her in episode 21.

That shows that, while she had a place in his heart, as soon she stopped helping Frontier, his overprotection ended. Ranka realized this, I think. He never quite listened to her song, but recognized Sheryl's. Even in the infamous "heart scene" in the sky in episode 19 that Ranka misinterpreted.

Who was the person in Alto's thoughts?

Quote:
Ranka's reasons for slapping Sheryl were very mirrored to Sheryl's slap on Ranka in Ep20. Sheryl's emotions, at this point were, "my duty is over, death awaits me."'
Eh, Sheryl thought that because she believed there was no cure and was hitting Heaven's door. If Ranka had told her there was, she wouldn't be depressed at all. There wouldn't be need of a slap. Slapping a dying person doesn't exactly portray you in a positive light. Period. That scene was dumb as hell (very badly written. It was so un-Ranka like) and helped to solidify a lot of the Ranka hate in places like this (again, I don't blame Ranka, I blame the way she was given the idiot ball so often).

Agonizing because you are ACTUALLY dying from an incurable disease after you did your duty successfully =/= being emo over a "broken heart" and wishing to die to deny to do your goddamn duty

Anyway, the triangle was already resolved. *shrugs*
Spoiler for spoilers:

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"

Last edited by Thess; 2011-03-05 at 01:57.