View Single Post
Old 2011-12-26, 13:38   Link #314
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
I think you didn't understand what quantum entanglement does, it is completely different from transferring of data in an electronic sense.

The 'old' concept of fictional teleportation is a flawed concept, in the real world, it means the killing of a person to have him rebuilt in another location. Would you want to completely unscramble and disintegrate your body to teleport to another location? If we can make a copy of you right where you wanted, would you want yourself killed in the position you were at?

Another thing about quantum entanglement is that it happens instantaneously, unlike an electronic signal which travels at the speed of an electron, it 'travels' faster than light.

Time Travel makes sense both ways, forwards or backwards. In fact the idea of time traveling to the future came first before traveling to the past. And there are no laws in physics that says going backwards in time is impossible, in fact there are many calculations and theories that says time traveling backwards is possible. To be able to test those theories is only a matter of technological advancement.

In the past hundred years, humans went from horse carriages to space travel, from thinking that flying is impossible to flying in space.
No one really understands what quantum entanglement is. I do have a reasonable understanding of it's effects though. But I am no physics major.
I had a hard time grasping the mathematical background of quantum mechanics and we only scraped the surface of it back when I was a student.

I know what they did in that experiment, and im not disregarding it. It is an amazing feat. But it is not the teleportation Heinlein was thinking of.

The establishment of the entanglement state is not instantious as far as I know. So the "teleportation" isn't either.

Quote:
Art does affect science as well, like Daniel Shechtman, the 2011 Chemistry Nobel Prize winner. His discovery of quasicrystals was because he got the idea from the patterns of elaborate embroidered tapestry. He was ridiculed for thinking that crystals could have multifold symmetry above 4, when he claimed to see a 10 fold symmetry in a crystal which he figured out from the tapestry patterns.
The man (Roger Penrose) who created those tapestrys was a mathematican though. Creating symetric, non-periodic patterns was a mathematical problem and he solved it. But I think you are right, this technique is found in art too. Middle eastern, islamic mosaics use this, if I'm not mistaken?

Last edited by Dhomochevsky; 2011-12-26 at 13:55.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote