Thread: Nintendo Wii U
View Single Post
Old 2013-05-30, 20:21   Link #424
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

So I want a Wii U eventually. I was thinking about getting an external HDD for it. A small one, one of those compact ones. There are some drawbacks with that, though. There would be clutter and extra wires with the Wii U setup by your TV. Also, when I looked around for external HDDs on newegg, I wasn't finding any ones with very good ratings that also didn't require being plugged into an outlet. One that draws power from a USB port is more ideal. If I had to get one that plugs into an outlet, that is an extra wire in the setup, another outlet being used up, and I'd have to unplug the HDD every time I am not using the Wii U (I read that keeping external HDDs plugged in all the time shortens their lifespan by a lot).

So there are alternatives. SD cards and USB thumb drives. USB thumb drives can be used on the Wii U just like any external HDD could, right? Just double checking on that. And you can play games directly from SD cards on the Wii U, correct? If so, maybe I could do just fine with a 32 GB model Wii U that has a big SD card and a big USB thumb drive. I'm under the impression that 128 GB SD cards and thumb drives aren't very reliable yet, but 64 GB ones are very reliable. Is this correct? Anyway, if I only went with a 64 GB SD card and a 64 GB USB thumb drive, do you guys figure that is a pretty viable storage solution for the Wii U?

You can have a SD card and USB thumb drive both hooked up and ready to go for your system. Could you have a second USB thumb drive in addition to that; being hooked up and usable? I'd probably never need to have more than two thumb drives and an SD card for a Wii U system.