View Single Post
Old 2011-11-14, 18:16   Link #2186
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Most of your dislike does come from the fact that the serie is still keeping lot's of things a mysterie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
The biggest problem here is this is a mecha show. Though it's pacing is that of a sci-fi drama. Mecha shows tend to have the easiest formula when it comes to asserting the importance of the protagonist: you just have a overarching doom-plot for which the protagonist is either the key or the only-key to ending it, then you just throw danger after danger under cricumstances where he's about to die but somehow gets out.
This serie is not a complete mecha show. You probably should known that from seeing the settings, the pv's, the plot and the first episode. As far from the plot that you could read on the main site and on every other website that copied before the first episode that the only thing you could tell that this serie was meant as a sci fi serie with some apocalyptic settings like viruses in mind.Also the drama was also implied because it also said a tale of 2 boys and songtress/diva in the first pv.
The mecha's are mostly in the plot to enforce the sci fi settings and are not the centre of the series. If you really wanted a mecha serie, then your obvious choice was gundam age for this season.

Quote:
GC doesn't do that. Shu is never in danger or the key to anything, he's essentially just a bio-weapon with a love interest. The funeral parlor are the key to the problem, they are the ones with their necks on the chopping block when shit hits the fan. So what does that leave us with? The daily life of Shu? Is it even surprising many aren't pleased with how it's going...
Also i do find it somewhat realistic what Shuu does after epsiode 3, trying to go back to his previous life. He does not have a personility of a hero or rebel for him to be involved in this war, but later episodes shows that he can't escape the fact that he is involved because he has the void powers.

Quote:
To be honest if not for the discussion I wouldn't even be following this one. This is one of those shows I would just wait to finish and check general opinion and summaries to see if it amounted to anything or fell on it's ass by the end. It's pretty obvious from the episode pacing the writers weren't thinking too much on how this would work in a 20min episode format since the tention between episodes, every good show needs, just isn't there! You know those deep questions that they tease you with every episode or those ticking time bombs that you don't know when are going to go off or be stopped if they're going to be stopped. So far GC had one, the pen, and they just made it into comic relief and had Shu completely forget about it, har har, well played GC.
The series has more deep points than you might have missed in your watching, like the in your case missing out that Gai and Shu has met before.
As for the pacing and tension, i don't understand from your explanation why you think the pacing is horrible. It's as if you think that every serie needs a big plot twist or cliffhanger to be interesting. Some of the slower episodes so far introduces us what a void can do (episode 3) and some character development like in episode 5. There is nothing wrong with those seeing that the series has 22 episodes.

edit: the serie does has it faults, but the points that you have mentioned does seem weak to me.

Last edited by hyl; 2011-11-14 at 18:31.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote