View Single Post
Old 2012-11-14, 01:23   Link #569
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainrir View Post
I think it takes out the character complexity if we do that. I do agree that Mogamett's system is BS to modern sensibilities, but as a historian I always feel should evaluate the society by its historical circumstances.

Magoshuatt's system does have certain strengths that make it better than the cattle slavery or even serfdom that is pervalent in the rest of Magi's world. More importantly, how to dismantle the system without causing massive deaths (like Kassim vs Aladdin) is a legitimate question.

Sindaria is a completely outlier because 1) Island Nation with a small population 2) It basically has a free nearly-infinite protein source and the ability to exploit it 3) Trade Route and the exclusive exports that are in great demand 4) The existance of what is basically a nuclear weapon that ensures the nation's survival and power (Sinbad).
There's a difference beween history and this though. Well, other than the fictional part.
The fact is, we're seeing events of Magnoshutatt in god-perspective, with no historical interpretation necessary. We can see the vile in its rawest form, basically how "it is".

Because as readers we are seeing from a unique perspective, the baggage such as historical viewpoint can be entirely neglected, we are given a third-person view already.

So no, it's not bad at all to call out what is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainrir View Post
Though I think it probably make some of Shakkarn's words more sinister if Yamu is indeed burning herself out for Sindaria, you know...his constant admolistions for her to "stop messing around with Magic" and "Magic sucks, Swordsmanship is enough". Though that could be over-reading into things. However, we all know YamuxShakky is basically the only canon couple in this manga (and the bestest couple)...so Shakky being concerned for Yamu is not....out of the question.
Oh, I have to apologize. You belong to a different cult sect.... the Tsundere x Tsundere pairing cult!

..... Where do I sign up?