Thread: MS igloo
View Single Post
Old 2006-01-27, 20:02   Link #30
Commander 598
Zeonic

Send a message via AIM to Commander 598
While the Hildolfr proved to have excellent combat abilities, it likely cost quite a bundle. I'm betting most of the $$ went to it's engine. The Hildolfr has a max. speed of about 110km/h and it weighed 220 tons. It would have probably been a logistical nightmare since it can't cross the largest bridges due not only to weight issues, but size issues. The transforming probably added quite alot.
I can see a scaled down MP model, but the caliber of it's main gun(30cm) would have to be cut down.

In all, even a scaled down varient would probably cost alot more than a Magella Attack Tank and be asked to do the same tasks that the Magella is already doing. I'm fairly certain that the Magella is capable of limited long-range fire support and since it's more flexible, it's not to shocking to see why a varient of the Hildolfr was never produced.

Also, the Zaku itself is capable of artillery roles. The Zaku Cannon and MS-06Js with leg rockets and/or a 175mm cannon make very flexible platforms for a fire-support role.
Commander 598 is offline   Reply With Quote