View Single Post
Old 2008-03-05, 00:23   Link #730
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
So you're denying the destruction can be that bad? You once said you didn't deny others' speculations simply because there was no evidence to support it.
You probably remember better than me (I'm the type who barely remembers what I ate yesterday), however, I'm sure I'll note the lack of evidence. If the evidence is weak or can be interpreted differently, I'll note that also.

Quote:
In this case, there is supporting statements from the characters and visuals from the show, yet you refuse to even allow the possibility that can be that bad. Seems to me like you're doing exactly that right now.
I'll grant the possibility. But a possibility is far from a certainty or even a probable. Anyway my opposition does not even seem to be doing this.

Quote:
How little damage do you think would really have resulted had Precia not been stopped? Merely the destruction of the Garden of Time? If that's the case, was it worth risking all those lives just to stop her?
No one knows. And that's the point. Remember how this really started? Keroko wanted to classify Cradle as a World Destroyer, you say no firm evidence, he tries to relate the Jewel Seeds, and I point out that not only are they not linked, the evidence does not have to be read that way. Then I get murdered.

Quote:
Dealing with dangerous Lost Logia like these happens to be one of their main duties, give them some credit when they say it'll be really bad.
I'm giving them some credit. I'm just not assuming they must be 100% infallible.

Quote:
It seems to me that you think, if the completed activation was really that bad, stopping it - even in the initial stages - would be the equivalent of stopping a tide with your bare hands. I would say that's the wrong analogy.
Stopping a full blown forest fire once it's underway is hard, sometimes impossible. However, it doesn't take much energy to keep that lit match from landing on the tinder in the first place, does it?
But the crystals were already started up and running. Space hasn't broken yet, but they were already shaking it up and Lindy stops the vibration with her will? That means it is clearly a vibration stoppable by human power, which suggests real limits.

Quote:
Oh yes there was. In ep13, as the shaking dies away, Kyoya says, "it seems the earthquake's stopped." Therefore they did feel it as a quake.
OK thanks for reminding me (now I remember something like that happening). Scrap that theory then. Just a thought.

The best way to "square the circle" when it comes to the whole Jewel Seed incident is probably just to view the space-time fabric as being horribly weak to magic, so a low power event (relatively) can cause the tears. Apparently, our spacetime fabric is also under substantial tension, so once there's a break, it can slowly expand by itself until it indeed becomes all encompassing.