View Single Post
Old 2010-02-20, 00:59   Link #23
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

Day of Sagittarius would have been nowhere near as good if not for the shout outs to other anime, as you said.
I kind of don't really see it as a plus and minus. Personally as much as I like seeing references to some of my favourite shows and being able to spot them (fan points etc.) I'm starting to think there's a bit too much of it going on lately.

And then you have shows like Lucky Star which at times decided to just forgo the parody in favour of just featuring actual products like FMP Manga and Mikuru Figurines and even Aya Hirano herself. To me that's not really clever or even parody or tribute, it's just marketing and tapping into other market interests. Other shows are guilty of it to (a lot of them Kyoani shows as well come to think of it), but that still takes the cake for my top example of marketing meets tribute.

Quote:
KyoAni realizes that an anime is not a light novel, and what works in one medium might not work in another. At the same time, though, KyoAni values source material faithfulness as much as any animation studio around (sometimes too much so, it could even be argued).
I like the way you've phrased this with the "as much as any anime studio around". Over the past few years I've grown weary of people singling out and celebrating Kyoani for things that are just as much to the credit of other studios and their own particular works that get no credit since it's either expected (it seems Kyoani is often celebrated highly when they hit their par expectations with fans which to me seems unnecessary and excessive) or people just plain don't celebrate them for it. It's been as if to say that the other studios don't give any effort in their adaptations and/or their methods are inferior or not worthy of attention and/or they have no clue about the difference between a light novel vs. an anime when it's simply not true and cheapens the work of the rest of the industry. You have a good eye for finding my little pet peeves and helping to set the record straighter so thank you.

I think a lot of what needs to happen is for people that start with Kyoani shows and moe shows etc. to try and branch out and see what the rest of the industry is coming out with and gain if not an interest, at least an appreciation and awareness for it. It'd certainly help people to see why when everybody is raving about a particular "achievement" by Kyoani I often (upon hearing the news) come in and basically say "yes, but in the grand scheme of things this really isn't that overwhelmingly impressive" and in my fouler moods tend to mock the celebration of it.