View Single Post
Old 2008-05-21, 14:09   Link #28
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Oshii is looking at the box office?

He wants to compete with Miyazaki?

WTF?

Perhaps you should re-read that article, since it appears to me that you misunderstood some parts of it.
I know this is an older post, but I felt like adding a bit to the discussion. Mamoru Oshii, Hayao Miyazaki, Isao Takahata, and Toshio Suzuki were all independent directors/producer/writers back in the early 80s (and before), and they were thinking about working and or collabarate together on a future project. But, due to creative difference between Oshii, Miyazaki, and Takahata, Oshii ended up leaving their little group. Later, Miyazaki, Takahata and Suzuki would turn their group of friends into a company called Studio Ghibli, while Oshii would forever remain independent.

Since there split, Oshii has had a long standing friendly rivalry/competition with Studio Ghibli, and Miyazaki especially. Oshii has lauded Miyazaki, but considers his stories too idealistic and simple. Whereas Miyazaki has commented that Oshii is too self-serving in his movies (i.e. he makes movies too much for himself and not enough for an audience) and too much of a philosopher. But, they both respect each other greatly (hell, Studio Ghibli helped to finance Innocence).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote