View Single Post
Old 2011-03-07, 11:47   Link #551
Doddler

Send a message via ICQ to Doddler Send a message via MSN to Doddler
I don't really see any reason to doubt Kyubey and his SciFi reveal. Mainly, I see the reason behind his goals as being more or less irrelevant to the story at large, the goal itself is what's important. This is a story of Madoka, Gen dropped the info on us for one of two reasons; one is to get Kyubey's motives out of the way, and the other is to set Madoka's decision as possibly being 'for the greater good'. Personally I'm leaning towards #1, in that it will be difficult to close the show on the note he wants if people don't at least understand why he's working the way he does.

The same storytelling technique was used in Gen's Saya no Uta, when about 2/3 of the way through he basically dropped the exposition bomb in the same way, describing more or less taking a time out to explain all the outstanding questions away, so that when the finale comes, the only question left to answer is that of how the characters resolve their current predicament. What Saya was, where she came from, and the backstory of her and the supporting cast was largely irrelevant to the conclusion of the story, but it takes those cards off the table which means the character conflict is the only thing left to resolve.

I don't really like the use of SciFi elements in the story, but I imagine it won't be important. All you really need to know is Kyubey has a vested interest in Madoka becoming a magical girl, because he wants her to become a witch. If the Kyubey mystery is out of the way, Homura is the only mystery left before resolving the show's final conflict is the only thing left to do.
Doddler is offline   Reply With Quote