View Single Post
Old 2007-01-03, 07:32   Link #132
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Sigh....FINALLY I finish my DL of Episode 13. Either the Taiwan quake really screwed my connection up (since YouTube hasn't been very cooperative with me lately either), or there's something about the subs that's not sitting well with my comp. >_<

Anyway, finally, here are my thoughts:

1) Finally, Kitagawa justifies his existence! Certainly is a step up from his Toei, and even his original, days.

But yeah, somehow it took away from Yuuichi's GAR potential. Like someone said earlier, I had hoped Yuuichi would give Kuze hell, instead of passing it off as an "attraction". How lame.

Ah well, a tradeoff, I guess. Good thing KyoAni's still looking out for the minor characters, even though I still wished they had used Amano as Shiori's classmate instead of making up some nameless girl back in Episode 12. It's not as if they couldn't do that...

2) Shiori's scene is very well-done. They're actually managing to advance the Shiori arc steathily while the Mai arc is heavily under way. Now that is interleaving for you.

3) Someone said earlier that he didn't like the fact Mai and Sayuri popped up in the background while the focus was on Kaori, around 07:43 to 07:51. Personally, I think it's a stroke of unappreciated genius; KyoAni is giving us a subtle hint about their interleaving technique.

4) Mai Evil Eye FTW!!!

5) I'm not sure where it is that the animation quality gets weird, but personally I feel Yuuichi's face when he's bragging about himself to Mai, around 09:36 to 09:42, looks a little weird. It's kind of the face he had when he was about to drop that konnyaku down Makoto's back back in Episode 5 (I think), and somehow he was channeling Kyon more than usual. >_<

6) On another note, I never thought I would be so satisfied to see Yuuichi get pWn3d. Twice. By Mai.

7) The fight scenes here were awesome. Looks similar to Yuki's battle against Asakura though....well, it's KyoAni. What can I reasonably expect?

8) Nayuki: "Change..."
Yuuichi: "Go change in your own room."

D'oh! He should have not said anything and just enjoyed the show!!! Baka!

9) Seriously though, I love Nayuki-sama, but her comically sleepy phases have got to start getting phased out (pardon the bad pun). It's like, "alright, I get the joke, now start giving me the angst that makes up the other half of the greatness that is Minase Nayuki."

10) The preview for the next episode hardly makes any sense, at least up until Sayuri appears. >_<

Okay, now for more seriousness. Personally, I'm not that great at telling the difference between animation quality unless the disparity is great, so once again, I think I may have missed the points where it drops in this episode. Moreover, I'm thinking Episode 13 suffers from what I call "backlash"; what happens to an episode when it comes right after a particularly excellent episode. Maybe it may truly be that the KyoAni animators are preserving the budget after the bomb they must have spent on the Ball scene, but it may be also that Episode 12 was too good, that 13 suffers in comparison, at least to viewers. Therefore, I'd not be claiming any scalps here, at least in this department.

The plot though, that's where there's some issues to be considered. Actually, there was only one I felt that was out of place; Nayuki's share of the episode time. I don't know about you guys, but I feel that this time it was wasted on her; Shiori made much better use of her time, where advancing her own part of the storyline was concerned. As for Nayuki, she was sleeping...again.

For the love of God, give us just a bit more Nayuki-angst, please. I'm not asking for everything, just a bit more than what you're giving us now, KyoAni. The interleaving is going pretty well so far, but what I hate seeing so far is KyoAni wasting time. 26 episodes may seem a lot, but the fact is, it really isn't a lot of time to be playing around.

In short...I just wish KyoAni would start making better use of their time.