Thread: Game of Thrones
View Single Post
Old 2011-06-21, 01:28   Link #270
james0246

Are they Zombies? Zombies are not orient driven dangers, they are mindless killing machines. But from what we have briefly seen, these undead creatures seem to have purpose, with goals to accomplish (at least the dead men who attacked the Night Watch had a goal: the Commander), something a Zombie does not have. I do not think these previously dead humans have a "mind" per se, but they seem to be controlled by an external force, something I am reluctant to attribute to a Zombie (voodoo aside, the "modern" zombie is fairly mindless)...

But, I'm probably just nitpicking...

---

As for "best show on American television"...well, I wouldn't go that far, but I will say this is HBO's best show since The Wire (hell, this is HBO's best first season since the first season of The Wire), and I would be more than willing to put it in a Top 10 for the year. The acting throughout was quite good to great with above-average performances for even the most generic characters (i.e. the archetypes and stereotypes). And while pacing was a problem, it was only slight, with the transitions often fully and adequately leading the rather hectic story. As for the action sequences? I had no problems (they fought as I expected anyone wielding a club for a sword would fight). Etc. I could give a detailed break-down of the pros and cons of the series, but honestly it doesn't really matter. Story was very good, characters were fun, acting was great, directing was often very good, and, most importantly, it was very entertaining. 84/100 for the season finale and 86/100 for the season.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote