View Single Post
Old 2010-02-27, 23:36   Link #5887
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
"Royal Garden" was rejected when it was offered. Hata was sent back to the drawing board, and he came up with Hayate no Gotoku instead, which was subsequently accepted.
Maybe it's similar to what they say about Akamatsu and Mahō Sensei Negima. Akamatsu was like: "Hey, I feel like making a shōnen-esque manga, with magic and battles! =D", but his editors were like: "Nah... we think a love comedy with harem would be better, like Love Hina! =D" and Akamatsu was like: "D=... Okay...". Then, more than 100 chapters later (when the manga had a solid fanbase): "JACK RAKAAAAAAAAAAAN! NEGI PIERCE THE HEAVENS WITH YOUR MAGIC! SHŌNEN BATTLES!", and his editors are: "This is awesome Akamatsu sensei! You can do whatever you want." And right now the Mundus Magicus arc is, perhaps, the longest arc in the story and it's still running - not to mention that, even once the arc is over, even if Akamatsu goes back to the comedy portions, the story of the current arc will be continued and it'll be kept as central to the core plot.

There are other examples of stories that started as love-comedies and end up going on a whole different direction. Has anyone read Hanaukyo Maid Tai? Fuck, the twist there was certainly something. I mean, suddenly there's some mindfuck. There's also a VN called Muv Luv, in which the first VN is just yoru typical dating sim, but the subsequent ones (which are direct sequels) are nothing like it.

I guess it may be a similar situation with HnG. Hata originally wanted to do a particular type of storyline and it got rejected, but now that his manga is popular enough, he can take it (somewhat) in the direction he originally wanted.