View Single Post
Old 2011-06-24, 04:38   Link #1006
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Enjoyable read. In some ways it was extremely entertaining to watch it all just fall apart as expected in a glorious manner.

It did seriously feel like every single thing that could prevent this from being a good anime took place. It was comically bad.
I thought it was a good read too, but I'm not sure I'd say it was comically bad. More like so bad it's good? Definitely B-grade, but some of the best stuff ever made is, and absolutely a cult classic imo (yeah yeah...I'm sure someone will complain it can't be a cult classic right after ending).

My initial assessment was pretty spot on though, I think. This really had to have been a tough show to sell to the execs. How it got financed is anyone's guess. But I'm glad it did.

I liked the overarching message, and as Kaioshin says in his blog, "the rule of cool" was definitely entertaining. And of course I have my grumblings. The ending was far too vague and inconclusive, and hurt even more by the fact that you never really get any time to care about the characters or what happens because everything feels so breakneck paced. To make it worse, nothing is ever really explained, mostly because there is no time for it.

In the end, the selling point for me was the unique premise and Msyu, with a secondary nod to Jennifer. Masakaki also gets an award for being nearly as creepy and fun as a financial Willy Wonka. Oh and Cthulu money. Can't forget that.

So, great series? Nah. But I would have no problem recommending this to someone who just wanted to watch something fun and maybe a little bit thought provoking....if you don't think too hard.