Thread: Licensed Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora
View Single Post
Old 2007-01-10, 16:18   Link #127
kyok

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganeShounen View Post
I remember that someone compared the mecha in KyoSora to the Stands in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. I can personally compare them to the Phase Avatars in .hack//GU. They are both extensions and at the same time, separate entities of their owners.

Did I forget to mention that they all kick ass?

Yes, I did get those wierd flashbacks of the "cabin and CG dragon scene" from Fate/stay night when they kissed. Oddly enough. Seems like Kyoshiro only has eyes on Kuu, and looking at the OP, Setsuna-chan and Kuu will seem to have a friendly relationship. And if Haruhi willing... we'd get another Yuri pair.
Yes I really like the idea of stands as well, they're much more intimate then bulky hulking mechs that people ride in. I quite fancy the Saber-Rin pairing like alot of people do too *drool*

philip72, some of your pictures didn't show up but I see what you're getting at. I think that bishies for the most part aren't really the problem it's just some drawings make them overtly androgynous. While some characters in KyoSora aren't Jun Watarase trap level, they are a little too feminine looking then most bishies. Though do you have a problem with Kyoshiro..? I'd imagine most people wouldn't have much of a problem with bishounen characters as they're somewhat common in anime/manga.

ultimate (delicious) trap Jun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
...I should say that I found the lead guy in KnM repulsive -- as I did that whole show. It had a meanness of spirit, for me, that this show hasn't yet given evidence of.

Aside: I resist strongly any suggestion that shoujo romance is in any way inferior to other genres. In my opinion, it is generally superior. All genres run variations on standard plots. Shoujo romance, of all genres, may have the most emotional intensity and psychological depth. A show like Bokura ga Ita is psychologically far more complex, realistic and intense than any number of shounen adventure/romance stories, at least for me. Of course, the fact that a subtle, shoujo-ish show like Asatte no Houkou was from a seinen magazine shows the shifting nature of these classifications.
Why didn't you like Souma? Not to say that it was a great character, as he was definitely under developed and seemingly one dimensional. In a way when you say meanness of spirit do you mean.. the way that Souma-Himeko pairing was a giving type of love almost typical romance and that Souma would do anything for Himeko, whereas the Himeko-Chikane pairing was more forced and "selfish" being that Chikane wanted to take/ravage Himeko. Both pairings in the context of love but one more passive and the other more aggressive.
Personally I had a hard time accepting the coupling even knowing the premise since either the sempai-kouhai pairing which I haven't seen done well or that in KnM there was a lack of affection/romantic build up. It felt as though Himeko went lesbian the last minute but it wasn't too convincing, although if anything she is bi.

Again I agree that the emotional/relationships are often better in shoujo stories (by definition almost), I've found some seinen stories that are quite good (Kashimashi). From my recollection the one major thing I liked about shounen romances (or maybe i'm confusing these with seinen) is that they seem to make progress faster at the cost of drama which sometimes shoujo stories just love to drag out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seinen
The list is somewhat shocking as I didn't know where some of the animes i've seen didn't fit into either shounen/shoujo.
kyok is offline   Reply With Quote