View Single Post
Old 2008-02-12, 11:10   Link #12
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
But the best use of color coding I've seen was Shintani's subs of Hidamari Sketch. The four lead girls have different hair colors, and Shintani matched those colors in their fonts. Very cute.
This is pretty common and while it may be cute, it's also very annoying since it's a) a pain in the ass to do, b) highly distracting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billkwando View Post
LOL you lost me, good sir (or madam). The video is in widescreen so the subs are going to be right in the image which is why I don't want to block out too much by making it too big (especially if I'm going to be doing two lines for the Japanese songs) I'm afraid I'm not clear on what you mean by script resolution. Also, in my case it'll be watched on both a 36" SDTV and a 19" HD so I'm going for a size you can see across the room but that isn't distracting (I'm redundant, I know).
Script resolution defines the virtual resolution of the subtitle script and hence affects all font sizes (it should be noted that VSFilter always renders at 72 DPI, so that one typographic point is equivalent with one script pixel), margins, coordinates (for vector drawings, \pos, \move etc.) and, if scaled border and shadow is enabled, also the thickness of text borders and shadows. For further details see: http://aegisub.cellosoft.com/docs/Properties

When I say 30 points is a bit on the low side for ???x480, I mean it. Example:
30 points on 852x480 (16:9)
Looks a bit tiny doesn't it? Try watching it on a TV or even on your computer screen sitting back a meter or two. It'll be unreadable, I guarantee it.
Try something like this instead (36 points) and it'll be better. You can go even higher for better readability on big screens and large viewing distances. In this example the subtitles take up about 70 lines, or roughly 15% of the total vertical space, which isn't too intrusive.

(The typeface in the above screenshot is AvantGarde Book BT, bold weight.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billkwando View Post
(wait til I get to asking questions about encoding.....I did a quick rough encode without using anything but the VOBsub script and the video ballooned from 800 megs to 93 gigs......my PC is defragging at home as we speak.........again, don't kill me.........I'll be pitching a tent at doom9)
You forgot to set any video compression, which means you're getting uncompressed RGB data (24 bits per pixel, which means that at 704x480 one frame takes almost a megabyte of space). Don't do that.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2008-02-12 at 16:10.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote