View Single Post
Old 2010-03-14, 04:09   Link #70
Yaoihunter3000
Rabid Yaoi Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool View Post
Fact: 60% of North American manga readers are female.

I could safely assume that the manga market is more female-skewed just like the anime market is more male-skewed (and indeed many complain there are too many bishoujo anime nowadays)

Fact: Maria-sama ga miteru is a josei (young women's) novel (as well as other derivative properties)
Ed: the rest of the yuri titles you mentioned are seinen (young men's).

There are many women who like yuri, probably more so than guys who like yaoi. Of course there are lesbians who subscribe to yuri just like there are gays who subscribe to yaoi.

However, get this: the majority of yaoi subscribers are heterosexual females. I read in a research article somewhere that yaoi is a form of feminist rebellion---taking the male mask in a male story in a male world, and twisting it on its end for the benefit of the female reader. However it is only a more elementary form of feminist rebellion...the more advanced forms include nonsexualized depictions.
I'm sure there are plenty gay men who enjoy yaoi. Your statement about lesbians enjoying Yuri is true, however I (a bisexual, with a preference to woman) think that the Yuri novels done by men are a little unrealistic, focussing on female-female relationships from a male view, were as shoujo-ai type yuris are usually drawn by female artists and provide a real woman's view on those relationships. Men often place too much on sex as aspect of the relationship, where as for most real lesbians romance and love is more-often the focus. Yaoi mangas written by men are going to be done in accordance to who gay men think, which is often different to who straight women think therefore not as enjoyed by female readers.
Yaoihunter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote