View Single Post
Old 2011-02-21, 23:47   Link #8049
MonkeyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
For the record:

"A plot device is an object or character in a story whose sole purpose is to advance the plot of the story, or alternatively to overcome some difficulty in the plot."
I can copy/paste stuff from Wikipedia too! Though in this case I'll use other sources that define what a 'plot device' is differently.

"A plot device is a low-energy means of fulfilling the requirements of dramatic necessity, without having to develop the plot or characters much."

or

"A plot device is an object or character in the story whose purpose is purely to drive the plot or resolve situations. It could be something everybody wants to obtain, a device that must be destroyed, or an annoying teenager who must be protected at all costs."

And going by the very thing you quoted from Wikipedia, a plot device was used to prevent Mikoto from engaging in fights she may have been able to participate in. The 'difficulty' to overcome in the plot was somehow not getting Mikoto involved. Therefore a plot device was used to get her out of the way.

For v6, it was Kuroko's characterization, the squabble between Index and Mikoto, and Sphinx running away from Mikoto due to the magnetic waves she unconsciously emits. Is this convenient? Yes. Is this a plot hole? Nope because these factors were explained in the story.

For v16, it was the revelations of her newfound feelings for Touma and her respect for his opinion that it was 'his fight' to fight, and also probably due to Runes and whatnot the Amakusa and Acqua? put in place to keep civilians out of the way. Note that while Mikoto is a L5, she is still a civilian and probably doesn't have much in terms of magical resistance so those runes should easily affect her. Somebody else may be able to explain this better? Anyway is this convenient? Yes. Is this a plot hole? Nope because these were pretty well explained in the story.

Quote:
Doesn't quite apply; Mikoto's absence or inclusion wouldn't affect the overall plot in either direction. (her inclusion would just make more sense; character consistency and lack of plot holes)
Her inclusion in fights she was never meant to be a part of would have effects on the plot, detrimental or not. She pretty much doesn't know about the Magic Side and being exposed to it wouldn't have an effect? I don't even know why I have to explain this one. And her inclusion would make sense based on her characterization (or your perceived characterization of Mikoto), but that's why plot devices were used to keep her out of it.

Quote:
But I just like debating something once in a while, not starting an actual argument. So if you guys are getting tired of this or anything, I can shut up and agree to disagree. At the time, I originally just came online to post new info on Jinki: Extend Relation and Karin in the manga section from the two issues of Dragon Age I got in.
No one likes to debate with a brick wall. Actually forget debate, no one wants to discuss something with a brick wall. You are supposed to at least acknowledge valid points we are making, not just coming up with contrived responses such as "Still missing my point". Maybe you're the one missing our point hmm?