View Single Post
Old 2011-09-08, 09:00   Link #268
scr
my sides are in orbit

Finally got to play this on somebody else's monstrous gaming rig (the kind that will cause local heat wave if not cooled properly).
I have to say that I'm thrilled, excited, ecstatic, awed, and exalted. Finally, the kind of FPS game that doesn't make me feel dumber during and after I play it.
Cyberpunk and post-cyberpunk has always been the call in my life, and Ghost in the Shell was amongst my very first anime experience (and at an age to too tender to watch it, too).
This game gives me that sensation of marvel and dread about what humans can achieve / what humans are capable to inflict upon themselves.
Jensen isn't some kind of faceless cog in a military-industrial complex (unlike the protagonists in some FPS games I can mention). He has his says about his place and his aspirations in the world, gets to act on at least some of his principles, and looks darned cool doing so.
And his choice matters, as it should be in a game where the premise is that you can exceed human limitations.

Gameplay wise, it astonish me about how you can go through the entire game without killing anyone. OK, almost no one. (You have to kill the bosses.) It fits the theme of the game: this era is supposed to be awesome, and you can have your part in making it so-- starting with not killing anyone.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote