View Single Post
Old 2009-02-17, 15:02   Link #36
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molenir View Post
I don't think she misread her at all. She just didn't think. She had a flash of realization that Touko was the one for her, and having come to this realization acted immediately. She didn't stop to think whether it was the right time, or whether or not Touko would accept. She had been troubled by who would fit her best.
That's partially what I mean by misreading Touko. The other part of it is not stopping to think about what Touko had been going through and how she would perceive the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I believe you are both right about circumstances and 4tran hit the mark about Touko's pride.
This play on pride is an element that used to be pretty common in shoujo works, but that I haven't seen much of recently. Marimite draws a great deal from the older tradition (hello, Oniisama e), so it's only natural for this to show up in some way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Man watching the episode again i dont think we have ever seen Yumi cry like that it kind of broke my heart. Which got me thinking what ran through Touko's mind as she left? did she cry when she was alone? or did the whole situation not bother her at all?
Touko is probably just about as broken up about it as Yumi. You can tell that she wanted to accept the offer very badly, but that she couldn't allow herself to do so. It's doubly sad for Touko since her rejection was based on thinking that Yumi's offer wasn't for her sake, but based on the last thing that she wanted Yumi to feel for her - pity. She can't see from Yumi's point of view, so she has no idea how much it hurt the other party as well. Which of course is a ripe recipe for melodrama .