View Single Post
Old 2007-07-17, 08:05   Link #6
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I don't know... at any rate, there's always GPL v2. It's not like everyone who makes open source software is forced to adopt the v3.

And I have a slight feeling that the true developers, the true hackers, hardly care about the licensing issue. Their objective is far beyond the legalese of the GPL, and I feel that probably, the change of licenses won't make an impact at all.

Richard Stallman still is kind of my personal hero, though. Maybe he's made a mistake now, but that hardly changes decades of work towards the plunging forward of the open source movement.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linux MPX Multi-touch alternative to MS Surface

Quote:
"Gizmodo has published an article (with video) on the Linux-based free alternative to MS Surface along with a quite interesting interview with its creator, Peter Hutterer. "It may not be as fancy-schmancy as Microsoft Surface or Jeff Han's demos but this video of a Linux-based MPX multi-touch table shows that things are moving full speed ahead in the land of the free penguins. We talked with developer Peter Hutterer, who gave us his insight on the project, the iPhone and the ongoing multi-touch craze." He talks about Jeff Han's work, MS Surface and defines the iPhone as "not the first in what it's doing, but definitely a huge impact" in the field."
A day old, but still valid. The video is kind of boring, though, and doesn't show as much as the MS Surface one did.

Personally, I feel that these attempts to get a newer interface will always succeed not to appeal me. This surface thing seems kind of OK, but only for specific purposes. I, for one, would like to see GUI applications taking more into account the keyboard than a graphical interface such as the mouse. I feel it's much easier and faster, most of times, but I've been baffled by the enormous amount of programs that don't even notice the existence of a keyboard that can allow us to do the job faster most of times.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote