View Single Post
Old 2007-07-18, 21:12   Link #13
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

I am not completely sure about the consequences of a long term influence of Microsoft in Linux, but I think it is not neccessarily bad if SUSE becomes a Microsoft version Linux as long as other distros stay on the market and Micorsoft has to share/bring in their own Linux code.
There will likely be a conflict of interests between the fully commercial Windows and the rather "free" Linux. It could be possible that Microsoft will charge fees for the stuff that makes Linux more compatible with Windows, which does make sense in the server segment, since an ever increasing number of servers is running Linux today. When Linux is able to win the server race, then the only thing left for Microsoft to get money for is the patented technology to for software that enables interaction between Linux servers and Windows clients (e.g., Samba). Since the odds look bad for Microsoft to reverse the linuxification of the server market for cheap solutions, this is their only way to do it more elegant. Providing an entire MS compatible Linux and prohibiting usage of the patented technology for everyone else. At least that was the thinking until Microsoft figured out that this might not be a good idea since big players like IBM could force an ugly patent war once Microsoft tries to forbid the use of certain technologies.

So I believe at the moment Microsoft is rather interested to keep Linux at the lowest possible level for client machines and home/multimedia users, while it will increase support for the server stuff but keep it a low quality alternative.
In highly complex systems "intelligent" servers are needed. Microsoft introduced new approaches that according to Microsoft help to administrate and effectively control highly complex systems - the buzzword here is autonomic computing... an according article can be found here. Originally developed, advanced and promoted by IBM, Microsoft tries to do the same but with their own technique and their own patents. Given that Microsoft might have the bigger knowhow and more resources to waste on autonomic computing, it is likely, that this sector becomes a patent secured area of Microsoft. The GPLv3 is a good excuse for Microsoft to put even less effort in the development of Linux atm. Therefore they have the chance to secure the patents for the server technology of tomorrow. And what that means for Linux is clear... on that sector there will be either once again double standards or Linux simply doesn't have the autonomic computing capabilites and will therefore be a cheap server alternative with a limited deployable radius and thus no active danger for commercial Microsoft products (that is my point of view for the server market... I have no clue how this will affect the client/standalone OS market).

Last edited by Jinto; 2007-07-18 at 21:57.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote