View Single Post
Old 2011-03-29, 19:55   Link #2024
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
Someone on another forum was planning to go to Tokyo in a few weeks, but his brothers girlfriend sent him this.

I'm really confused by it, since I don't know how much truth is in it and although TEPCO haven't exactly been truthful since the start, I don't get why they would lie about radiation levels in the air. Especially since anyone can get hold of a giger counter or whichever one it is. Anyone else in Japan or following the news more than me have anything they can say about this?
"girlfriend" is using really poor news media sources for her information (after accidentally watching a broadcast of Inside Edition (a celebrity trash faux-news show) I got a blast of just how much utter bullshit is being spewed). And I'm pretty sure she isn't actually READING the NHK site as they're not in any "OMG!!!" mode.

Of course, it takes actual effort to jump out of the "OMFG WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!@@AFDSADARE (stay tuned thru the next commercial break to see how and who said it) and find useful information.

There are a few areas in Japan currently on the not-a-good-idea list ... the actual area near the plant and, more importantly, all the devastated areas who can't deal with tourists right now. But most of the country is doing okay and needs people to keep doing what they were planning on doing. Its going to be darker (many whooo! lights turned off to conserve) and there may be occasional difficulties getting some things. You should drink bottled water when traveling *anyway* because your gut doesn't like to meet new water it isn't familiar with.

I'll keep posting this link and this pic to show just how OUT OF PROPORTION uneducated fools are taking this hyperbolic failure of news reporting:

http://xkcd.com/radiation/

[/URL]

This is about like saying "Don't go to Texas because they had a Hurricane in Houston" .... my tolerance for the media and the people behaving like this is getting remarkably short.