Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-29, 22:33   Link #22706
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

We have foreign language requirements in California, but they limited the choices by the time I got there to Spanish or French (before they had had German as well). I had no interest in French at all and didn't really want to learn Spanish either dispite the state having an increasing number of Spanish only speakers. I maintained a C average for the four years I took Spanish in Middle and High Schools. Enough to pass and make the college entrance requirement without needing to take more in college.

I've forgotten most of my Spanish (mostly on purpose, but also because I don't use it) I can probably get one word in ten presently. At the time (7th grade) I would have much rather have taken German. I probably would have done much better as I would have been more motivated to learn. If it had been later I might have taken Japanese (if offered) for anime related reasons.

What is odd is that I learned some Spanish when I was very little because back in the late 70s and early 80s Sesame Street taught Spanish words as well as English words. So I would pick up some Spanish here and there. But in the 10 or so years between that and 7th grade I forgot everything.

A former girlfriend of mine on the other hand was a linguist. She just wanted to keep learning new languages in college having conversational Spanish, German, Swahili and others down before she gradated and I think was making up her own language using what she learned.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-07-29 at 23:18.