View Single Post
Old 2008-08-29, 02:01   Link #1067
Whiteshirt

I'm a tad late to the discussion but I would like to say something about Taiwan, which was discussed a few pages ago.

As a person who was born and lived in Taiwan, it is a sad thing to see how my homeland has fallen so greatly. I moved to Australia when I was about 10 and while my parents worked day and night to pay for our living expenses and my school fees, they certainly accept they have a better life as of now.

The Taiwanese seem to be quite fired up about the topic of being democratic and free. Recently on a talk show, they discussed the topic of democracy (seems to be the topic of the year) and how 'free' countries such as Australia and the United States are and how people in those countries can do whatever they like, whenever they like. Perhaps the Taiwanese are naive and take things literally, but this attitude seems to be taken the whole population by storm. They literally do whatever they like, whenever they like.

A few weeks ago, my father saw and was absolutely disgusted to see the state of the once disciplined Taiwanese army. Soldiers skip their posts, procrastinate when they should be cleaning up the damage of the tsunami, and demand that their barracks be given luxuries ranging from air conditioning do good quality beds. Why? Because they feel they have the right to demand and act as such because anyone who enforces rules and heavy discipline onto them are simply undemocratic.

I feel for the new president. He's a wonderful man who does what he can do, but he can only do so much to people who refuse to obey the law. He puts lifeguards and metal fencing to prevent people from swimming in dangerous waters, but people just ignore the lifeguards and clip the metal fencing anyway. Understandable, since the country is unbearable in summer, but the law is the law and the law is there to ensure people are kept in line. It's a vain attempt to try and put some law and order into the country, because 'democracy' (pseudo-Western democracy) fever has taken over the country.

Who knows why the country is in such a mess. But I have a feeling it is because democracy was installed far too quickly doubled with the fact the whole 'Taiwanese democracy/Taiwan for UN/Taiwan Independence' bullshit was just propaganda in the first place. All I know is, the news I get on Taiwanese TV is the equal to something out of a melodramatic soap opera.
Whiteshirt is offline   Reply With Quote