View Single Post
Old 2012-07-14, 09:01   Link #363
UsagiTenpura
Artist

I don't think RGDs being a mystery or not is any relevant to how much we can talk about it in threads. There are plenty of series here on animesuki that gets daily posts and has been doing so for years without them being mysteries.
I'd name To Aru as an example. Even without them being "mysteries" there are plenty of small mysteries, secrets and twists that we can guess at for many stories. I personally find guessing at those usually more interesting then trying to guess the truth in a 100% realistic mystery.

Obviously we haven't seen much of RGDs but I've certainly found some glimpses of it. With a structure of time that reveals much of "what's going to happen" without "how it happened" thanks to Julie (and the misinformation and wrong impressions that she can have), I'm fairly certain we're going to have a lot to guess about.

Like for instance, who is Jeanne or why does know what happened in 1947?
Or for instance, how will everyone die? since we've been told they are all dead (in 2012).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post
[*]Many of the backgrounds set in 1947 had obvious modern cars visible, despite the effort to distort the background with filters. I found that a bit distracting. I know it's an alternate reality, but seeing 2012 car shapes doesn't quite fit with the rest of the scene.
In Higurashi and Umineko, taking pictures around 2002 and 2006 didn't prevent Ryuukishi from making his story set in 1983 or 1986. Obviously it was convenient being a small village and a mansion on an island (not to know when it dated from) but R07 basically didn't change anything from what he did previously. Taking piccies and fuzzy editing them. Personally this always bugged me (come on, can't you do better 07th?) but not any more then in Higurashi/Umineko.

Quote:
[*]Also I kind of question the reference material used for the Western-built cityscapes, which are clearly European based more than American. Sure, you can again say "alternate reality" and "facades", but it just looks a bit out of place for the described setting.
In 1947 they said it was split between China and USA. We don't know what's between that time and the present time. In 2012 they talked about "westerners", not Americans. Maybe you are right, but it's early to know. My guess is that the european feel is something 07th wanted and have some reason of being there. To me a name like Jeanne or Julie anyway is not American at all but rather French. Guess we'll see. Post WW2 Germany and how it was split into two is most likely a big influence on RGDs.

Quote:
[*]Lastly, was it just me, or did that American-recruited soldier's uniform look more like a German one than a US one? Even the belt buckle looked more like an iron eagle. I'm beginning to wonder if Ryuukishi needs to travel abroad more... (like come guest at one of our cons in the US, ha! )
Personally don't care about that but it does remind me that WW2 didn't only involve Japan. What happened in GRDs Europe?

Last edited by UsagiTenpura; 2012-07-14 at 09:18.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote