View Single Post
Old 2012-09-01, 09:17   Link #30291
Captain Bluebeard
Detective, Witch, Pirate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
The fact that "Ikuko" means 19 and "many childs" is the only adequate hint I can see in the theory, but in my opinion it is not enough to reach a conclusion regarding her identity being Yasu.
Ryukishi does like word-play with the name meanings (an LOT), it's there in all his works, but just as you say, it doesn't mean Yasu is Ikuko. It could even be beause Ikuko sort of contiunes her story or whatnot.

Quote:
I value more thematic narrative hints rather than crude mathematical facts. To believe in the Yasu=Ikuko I should see something that thematically and narratively suggests that, something in the way she acts or talks that would suggest she is Yasu.
That's exactly how I feel. If there was at least one point in the narrative to suggest that, I would consider it, but other than the name and some remote similarities between the two (most of which are do-it-yourself-with-some-imagination), people who support it don't have anything else to show. Frankly, it's no different than one of the goats' theory.

It's tough to be blue...
Captain Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote