Thread: Licensed Akame ga kill [Manga]
View Single Post
Old 2014-04-30, 05:45   Link #4299
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonfr View Post
But you took my statement out of context? just uhg, if you ever feel the need to correct me again, don't.
Since you took it out of context, and you seem like a more reasonable sort I'll explain I never actually called Wild Hunt red shirts, I said the 3 who died were like the red shirts of wild hunt.
let me go back to my initial statement, since it started out as a joke.

Basically, the joke is, put it to scale. For example, picture Wild Hunt as the crew of the enterprise. The ones who died first would be the red shirts.
basically they fall under 3 aspects of the red shirt trope. 1. Their purpose is almost exclusively to give the writers someone to kill who isn't a main character, although they can also serve as a Spear Carrier. Basically, Shura is the main antagonist, and wild hunt are like his limbs. The other members can die for effect, but Shura can't. So they'd be like red shirts in this aspect.
2. They are used to show how the monster works, and demonstrate that it is indeed a deadly menace, without having to lose anyone important. Basically since Shura can't die, Someone needs to die in order to prove to Shura that Jaegers and Night Raid or a credible threat.
3. The 3rd aspect is the one that sort of overlaps with a "black guy dies first" trope, as well as being a a stock character in fiction who dies soon after being introduced.

Basically, I wasn't actually calling them red shirts. I was saying they're like Red Shirts, if you picture Wild Hunt as the enterprise, and the ones with the least screen time who die first are the red shirts. That was the image in my mind when I made the joke at least. It's a taken into scale thing. I really thought you guys were smart enough to just sort of, get it, without the explanation?

Anyways, the characters I did call red shirts, were Tatsumi's initial 2 friends from the first chapter. As well as similar 1 chapter appearance characters who died. And I stand by that.

Also, not a lot of Red Shirts actually died in Star Trek. Like Uhura, she was a red shirt, she dated spock, she didn't die.

"Red shirt of Wild hunt" I get it, but they still were able kill one of Jeagers, which put them clearly into boss category or to be exact into category of "miniboss squad". If I went your logic Leone and Rabac would be "Red Shirts of NR"

And for it's origin Red shirts was uniform of enterprise security personels, whenever someone died it was one of them, usualy on begenning of episode. Uhura had red one-piece not shirt...

And despite of disagreeing with you again, I don't find your post condescendings or anything.
Tenzen12 is online now   Reply With Quote