View Single Post
Old 2007-06-16, 22:01   Link #531
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWacky View Post
Anyway, still catching up slowly with SnM. Really not "feeling" the show very much; I appreciate it from a technical viewpoint and appreciate how well crafted it is, but somehow it just bores me to tears on a regular basis which is really disappointing. I'd love to read the books, though. Maybe it'll pick up in a bit.
I do think it all comes down to what do you expect from the show. It's a talkie for sure and not one where action predominates. If this show is a large jigsaw puzzle, most of the recent episodes are smaller separate parts that we are seeing being made which gives us either a glimpse as to how each of these parts will link up or guessing its eventual placement.

Each episode that does not seem to add on to the main storyline is actually being used to show the world to us and delve deeper into each character so as to let them show more of themselves. The recent episode, Episode 11, gives us a glimpse into the spirit world and a hint of the possibilities that the shamans with the knowledge and skill can do. There's also more exposition between Balsa and Tanda. The speed with which Balsa reacts in late in the episode with respect to Tanda gives us a clear-cut indication how much Tanda means to Balsa when we already know how much Balsa means to Tanda from the earlier episodes.

This show is a very nice change in that not is it just technically excellent but it uses one of the mature ways of storytelling that is not often found in anime that link up in one way or another when it is doing exposition outside the main storyline. Perhaps you are more attuned to a more linear storytelling direction with sufficient and regular doses of action thrown in in comparison with how this show is being done.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote