View Single Post
Old 2011-09-14, 02:54   Link #101
calorie

Hmm, okay, well, I wasn't thrilled by the ending. As I anticipated, it was good - a bit too much on the sugary side and almost completely straightforward, but I was hoping for more.

I agree with those who say it was unrealistic for everyone to make it out alive and happy and even end up becoming lab members again. A dose of bittersweetness would definitely increase the artistic value of this anime; instead, it felt like a typical VN "good end".

Gave this episode, and the whole show, a rating of 8. Had I participated or at least read some of the discussions here on AS I probably would have enjoyed it a little more because the most interesting parts of Steins;Gate turned out to somewhere around the middle. However I hadn't been here at the time so I didn't spend much time trying to make sense of the time travel concepts or imagining what's going to happen next.

The characters were likable, but I wasn't that impressed by Okabe as I think some of the people here may have been, and the girls were nice but still predictable. Daru was different than the usual "idiot" of the show (he only technically fits into the category because he is the one who, most of the time, provides comic relief more so than anything else), I can't say I've seen many true modern otaku type of characters, but in the end his hentai jokes were always a downer for me because they made it seem like they treat the audience as being the same way.

Considering the intelligent dialogue, constant high quality animation and an intriguing plot I would certainly consider Steins;Gate an above average (i.e. Very Good = 8) anime but somehow it didn't particularly resonate with me in order to think of it as being 'great' or 'perfect'.