View Single Post
Old 2004-04-18, 13:52   Link #41
choowee
lurkeress

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuwing
wat is the reason for dreaming
wat is the scientific reasoning behind why we dream when we are asleeep.
hmm... there are different opinions on this. One scientific reasoning is that durring the REM cycle (the dream stage of sleep), brain activity increases to awake levels. My psych professor claims that the brain activity is actually random "spasms", for lack of a better term, of the sensory processing region of the brain. The brain then interperts these random spasms, thus producing a dream. This is why you often cannot repeat a dream to someone else, yet you vividly remember bits and pieces and remember feelings. This is also why you may feel like you are dreaming for days (or in one case with me, years) when you have only spent a few minutes in REM... time perception is handicapped.

Now if you want to know why our brains interpert things the way they do... we can go into Freud (I'd rather not )

Lucid dreaming is a bit different... I guess that would be when your brain keeps going with the dream and stops interperting sensory "spasms". Thus you have control with your dream- there was a time where I would lucidly dream everynight. When i was real young, I would actually start dreams staring all of my favorite cartoon characters (gi joe, thundercats, silver hawks, he- man, she-ra, etc.- and with me as the main character of course) everynight. Those were fun days...*sigh*. Can't do that anymore... don't know why.
choowee is offline   Reply With Quote