View Single Post
Old 2012-10-15, 15:21   Link #1189
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
She mentions there that it is pretty weird to go full-overtime work over at Kyoani, and that the common all-nighters in Tokyo never happen. If that's true, it really baffles me. I mean, even being a studio like Kyoani and doing everything in-house, for the quality of their products one would expect more strain in the workers. But perhaps that laxity is what makes their works so fresh too.
FWIW, Yutaka Yamamoto disputes the company line, claiming that he had to stay overnight on several occasions. However, he might have an axe to grind, so.....

Quote:
The comment about directors is interesting too. I disagree with her ideology that a creator shouldn't put much of himself into his work, I rather prefer the author to fully pander to himself and express his whole set of ideas without restraints.
This is KyoAni ideology - the product in spec with the client's vision and with individual involvement as transparent as possible. Supposedly, this corporate direction is quite common among Kyoto-based businesses (according to game developer Tose Software, anyway. Traditionally, their policy was to leave their name off the credits and to precisely follow the client's instructions so that it seemed as if the latter actually developed the game).

Originally, the policy also extended to animation. However, given the growing interest in sakuga animation, they've relaxed some of their standards and are allowing more individuality to show through.