View Single Post
Old 2012-07-08, 22:37   Link #570
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
I liked about the episode, but not for the reasons most people probably do. I didn't care one bit about the characters who died because I never got to know them. Still don't care for the main either. But I do kind of like the idea of the main having to live with the burden of losing her friends.
You are not supposed to care for them, in any case. If anything, I see them as a mockery of the Slice of Life genre, by giving us bland copy-paste characters that are fitting for a generic Slice of Life of mediocre quality. Those girls are in the wrong genre. They all die. They are redshirts. Do you care for redshirts? Unfortunately, no, even if those redshirts arguably are real people, that we just don't see enough for to connect with it.

They are statistics. But to the PoV character, they are close friends. It's an interesting disconnect, but there's little the anime can do to flesh those characters out, not without an amazing writer that can give life to a sizable cast of disposable cast in a single episode. And they still have a story to tell.

That is the start of Muv Luv Alternative's message. Let us eat every Slice of Life and Harem trope alive, both literally, and figuratively.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote