Thread: Licensed Inuyasha: The Final Act
View Single Post
Old 2009-10-04, 12:49   Link #277
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Count me among those who's worried about the pace of this first new Inyusha episode in four years, and what it may imply for the rest of this "final chapter".

I loved the return of the familiar character designs, which are as sharp as they were in the last few seasons of the series; I loved hearing the same old voices (They haven't aged! Especially Kagome's, still feisty yet elegant); I also liked the lush background art, which continues the progressive improvement over the low-budget scratchings of the first two seasons (I've been rewatching the series in anticipation of The Final Act).

And precisely because I've been rewatching the series, I can confidently say that this episode moved a little bit too fast. There's not enough breathing room for character and plot development to sink in. It's almost as though Sunrise decided that the best way to reintroduce old fans to the series is to start the sequel at double-quick speed, squeezing in all the characters into a single episode to keep every fan happy.

As a result, it's hard to feel anything for most of the characters, familiar though they may be. Almost all of them have been reduced to cameo appearances, as though this were yet another one of the Inuyasha movies. To me, only Kagura received sufficient airtime for me to feel sorry for her. Well, she's been the sympathetic turncoat for a while now, so it's nice to see that status finally acknowledged by Inuyasha and gang.

As for the new songs, even though I'm a DAI fan, I can't say I'm terribly impressed by the OP. The ED, on the other hand, I liked a lot better.

I do hope the pace would slow down once the dust settles. All the same, I can't help but have a bad feeling over how it may turn out.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote