View Single Post
Old 2010-05-05, 23:02   Link #9788
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Well, if you want to think of it a certain way, the reader is the detective and Battler is the Watson. In fact, Author Theory lets you read the red literally:

Until now, you have been the DETECTIVE!

I mean, okay, yes, Dlanor is talking to Battler... but the red is true the other way too isn't it?

Granted, you might say "but our viewpoint isn't objective!" Well, it actually is objective, we just aren't being shown things that are necessarily true. However, our viewpoint is not distorted by the lens of a particular character's way of thinking, so we at the very least have the ability to draw our own conclusions.
Whole thing is the detective normally narrates a story, such as Battler does. We aren't narrating Umineko. And I think a reader's viewpoint can be easily swayed depending on how they feel about a certain character.

Take Lambda for example, who's pretty much stated to be a neutral and impartial observer - mainly because she changes sides depending on who the underdog is at the time. This is exactly why she's chosen to be the logic error judge as well. I personally can say I'm not nearly as impartial as her, so me narrating the story would mean I would shine a light on certain characters in a more kind nature if I like them. When Lambda's the gamemaster in EP 5 she focuses more on the honest qualities of the characters and doesn't even try to blur it. She clearly shows Natsuhi's delusional state of mind, Krauss's bumbling nature, Eva's caring but harsh way of acting and so forth. Only time she seems to become bias is near the end, when it looks like she's been helping Bern to make up that story about Natsuhi being a seductress. But if she were truly bias then she wouldn't have let Battler become a sorcerer. Battler in EP 6, on the otherhand, is pretty much stated to not want to make everyone look like an evil jerk because he cares about them.
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote