View Single Post
Old 2011-11-08, 12:50   Link #79
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I'm optimistic about Nisemonogatari. It's based on more source material by the same author, and from what I've seen, it looks awesome. Milking or not, I think there's good reason to believe that it will be at least a good show. I think that's worth trading in a few other shows for; or I'm at least willing to take that risk.

Madoka, on the other hand, I'm much more skeptical about. The series was excellent, and I think the way they ended it left little to be desired. I don't know what else they are planning to do with the movie, and I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, but this *feels* more like milking. Madoka already has three manga series, a game coming out, and a novelization. They might do something great with the movie, but I'm less sure about how happy I am with trading in a couple of "standard" Shaft shows for it.

All in all, though, the more success Shaft has, the higher the chances are of them continuing to produce shows in the style that I've loved for so long.
I don't want that to go away, even if I have to endure a dozen recap movies to keep them afloat.
Same here: I've come to enjoy Shaft shows for quite a while and Shibo's work just sealed the deal: Hidamari is one of my personal favourites for example and Bakemonogatari just blew my mind out of the water when it first came out (which means I was already pretty pumped up for a PMMM that didn't disappoint).

I am however very apprehensive about the upcoming Madoka films. The show was pretty much standalone with an above average conclusion for what one would expect out of Urobuchi () and pretty good pacing aside from the clearly rushed episode 10 yet they now decide to make not one but three separate movies for what feels like a completed work. Yes, it does feel pretty much like milking the series.

Strangely I would be fine with recap movies since that would be pretty standard milking of a popular franchise but the mention of a brand new story gets me really apprehensive about what's coming. If it's something simple like an expanded episode 10 then I would be OK with it but I most definitely suspect it'll probably mess with the established canon so far and as a fan of the work I can't help but be on my toes for a possible "bastardization" for the sake of money making.

But let's wait and see. If it means Shaft will get more money to produce the kind of shows I've enjoyed out of them then it's at least understandable. Heck, we may even get something good out of this.