View Single Post
Old 2012-09-23, 14:22   Link #60
Blazer-X

What an ending...

I think the word best associated with this ending is: Rushed

I thought episode 48 rushed Zeheart's descend into madness (even if I like that they gave him closure), but this episode spits in the face of that rush and just says: "Yes, we can rush the finale even more"

There were so many points in the episode where I saw how just splitting it in two would have done so much to enhance the experience. Too many things happened at once. You had essentially 2 battles and a whole internal conflict/understanding thing happening in between. It comes out even more ridiculous than 00 Trans-Am Burst, because 00 at least built up the power of true innovator and GN Particles, and comes up with the pseudo-science of quantum brainwaves. Here, Flit just talks. No X-Rounder abilities. Just TALKS. And guess what? He manages to convince the entire Vagan and EF to work together. That is far more people than just a handful of named characters in 00's finale.

The Vagan Gear left much to be desired. It was definitely a very cool MS, and it SEEMED powerful... for the first five seconds. Then the Asunos just basically teamed up and made it into a joke. A prolonged fight with the Vagan Gear would have been very helpful in establishing it as a powerful MS. Here, we could only assume. And if someone brings up Legilis for getting a five-second defeat, at least it showed off its potential battling Sid and FX, and we can excuse its piss-poor performance in its final battle to Zeheart's mental state.

Zera is SUPPOSED to be inhumane. He was supposed to be the ultimate warrior/weapon with no emotions. And what happens to him? Takes out a few grunts, damages Age 1 a bit, and destroys FX's C-Funnels. Pretty meh, all things considering. An extended fight and more damage to the three Gundams would have made him so much more of a menace. Hell, damage the Age 1 Gransa. Give us a better reason for Flit to discard his armor other than just to look cool holding the plasma diver missile.

Also, as many said, Sid came out of the left field. What made it worse was that Asemu doesn't even try that hard to make sense of it. He doesn't go "OH CRAP, I THOUGHT WE KILLED YOU". I would have even accepted Asemu and/or Flit giving a pseudo justified reason for why Sid went "OMG, HUG!" No, Asemu just goes "Oh, he must be trying to take over Sid". Wait... WHAT? And of course, the final battle against Vegan Gear is just as rushed, with FX decimating it in an almost-one-way battle.

That said, the episode wasn't a complete waste. Flit being convinced by Kio and his dead friends was the high point for me, because it brings both of their story arcs to a closure and cements Flit's place as the main character. Also, it was pretty touching seeing everyone Flit has lost. Like with most things though, I wished it was built up earlier. The only hint we get of Flit's lack of conviction was a few episodes ago, when he turned to the mirror and sees his younger self.

Overall, it wasn't a complete waste. It provided closure to most of the plot points. It was just too rushed to be considered a good finale.

What they should have done instead, if they had two episodes:

First Ep: Launch Vagan Gear, have it kill off more Fed grunts and ships before the Vagan Hipster Commander comment about how the Federation have already lost so much. Zera fight a longer battle with the Asunos, destroying the Age 1 Gransa's armor in the process. Flit, Asemu, and Kio hold it off until Zera decides to retreat. As it is retreating, Sid appears, going "OMG, HUG!" and TAKES OVER Zera and the Vagan Gear, instead of the other way around. Then have SID-controlled Zera go around damaging La Gramis (instead of a wild X-Rounder Zera). Flit takes the chance to attack with plasma diver missile. Have the whole conversion and understanding thing. Everyone begins attacking the La Gramis to save Second Moon. Then, suddenly interrupted by Vegan Gear Sid destroying suits from both sides, setting stage for the final battle.

Second Ep: Three Asunos defends grunts from VGSid while they continue to separate La Gramis. Asemu explains how Sid survived the last battle through self-evolution, and why he is so pissed off that the humans have stupidly gone to war with his technology. VGSid continue to destroy ships and grunts. Vagan Hipster Commander ask for help to take out VGSid. In the mean time, VGSid disables Flit's Gundam. Kio uses X-Rounder abilities to try and understand Sid. Sid uses Zera to communicate, saying that the humans have stupidly started war again and comes to the same conclusion as Ezelcant, that the current human race will always be at war. But instead of evolution, it will instead eliminate all humans to prevent war. Still determined, Kio continue to chase after VGSid into the Second moon alone. With only a few more connectors left, VGSid and FX-burst mode reappears from Second Moon. All MS in the vicinity assist Kio as Sid-Zera shows confusion over their working together. Kio destroys VGSid and saves Zera. Ezelcant dies and we get an extended "after-war" ending, where we not only see the cure to Mars Rays, Flit's statue, but also Kio's family with Wendy (to make her relevant) and a reformed Zera, who is now fully human.

Meh, that started to sound more Fan-Fict-y. towards the end there. But yeah, really wished it was two episodes. That said, I really wouldn't mind an HG Vegan Gear Sid, if Bandai ever get around making it.
Blazer-X is offline   Reply With Quote