View Single Post
Old 2009-12-13, 02:44   Link #1723
KLGChaos
The Shermain

I believe the ideas in the manga are sound, even if it's not like the one shot. It's just that the execution of the story has been poor so far. There's some really good stuff in there and some really bad stuff as well. For example, we learn a lot about Medaka... And only Medaka as the series progresses, but next to nothing about the other characters outside of some basic personality traits. Characters come and go like it's a revolving door and there's just too much that feels random instead of actually funny. First they talk about Judo somewhat realistically and the next thing you know, buildings are being pulled down. I know that's part of being abnormal, but I feel a lot of inconsistency from the manga. It's trying to mix too much together, some of which seems diametrically opposed to each other. You can't have a realistic Judo match in one chapter and then a DBZ style fight in the next. It just feels weird. Some stuff works, some doesn't. It's almost as if Nishio is just tossing in whatever he can and is hoping it sticks. It's probably his attempt at satirizing the genre, which is fine, but satire really requires a deft touch to be successful, but it feels more like NisiOisiN is slamming it over our heads instead.

That's why the manga, though it has flashes of brilliance, has such a split audience.

I'd also like to see less Medaka and more of the other characters. She's nit a horrible character, but she just eats up way too much of the manga and I think it's hurting it. I've noticed that whenever the manga focus solely on her, it tends to drop to the bottom and does better on the less Medaka heavy chapters. I think people just got bored with the same old "Problem arises > Medaka makes a big speech > Medaka solves problem herself > repeat."

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2009-12-13 at 02:54.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote