View Single Post
Old 2012-12-21, 16:51   Link #31476
lpf
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
I think in terms of EP5 we have to consider what Ronove and Virgilia said about the gameboard. Ronove said it lacks love and Virgilia likened it to misusing parts of the gameboard to win an argument (throwing pieces at your oponent or scribbling on the board).
I think it was intended to be impossible to actually play a totally different game on the board without it becoming clear. You can create events on a magical level, but you can't force events that would be impossible in that context on the reality-level.

In that way the stories are warped but still in the realm of likelihood. That Battler actually made mistakes when constructing his story in a way to conceal the 'culprit' is shown through the logic error.
Not to mention said mistakes stem from retroactive moves (prime example of piece-throwing). And I would go beyond saying they are 'warped' and totally question the realm of likelihood you mention. This issue is my biggest reproach to episode 5, 6 and Our Confession. What was 'the metaworld' in When They Cry 3 was only acceptable within a mystery novel because it didn't influence 'the natural world'. And I don't think these gameboards could be explained without a supernatural (i.e. meta) influence.

The solution to the logic error only works because Erika generously let the closet untouched before examining the bathroom. In other words, it only works because of meta-considerations. I don't think it is possible to plausibly account for Battler's escape without factoring in the meta-world. One could argue that the prank Battler set incited her to see it beforehand, but that directly contradicts the fact that she thoroughly checked the bedroom first.

I will say more. I don't think one can plausibly explain Kanon's disappearance without factoring in meta-motives. What method made possible for Kanon—and not Battler—to disappear? I see two, but feel free to add more to the count: 1) dying (because Battler couldn't die or else the letter given to Erika would have been false) 2) turning into Shannon. Dying can be accounted for by suicide or Erika shooting through the door (unproven, but plausible if one takes in account that she burgled Kinzo's study and killed the fake corpses before beheading them). Turning into Shannon is self-explanatory.

But none of these explanations are credible in the natural world. Being shot? It only works because Erika didn't have the chance to open the closet, or she would immediately find out the truth. Therefore, only works because the game stopped, something impossible in the natural world. Committing suicide? Not only would it make Erika realise the truth, it would be extremely difficult to account for, motive-wise. Turning into Shannon doesn't even begin to make sense in the natural world. Why would she flee from the cousins' room, turn into Kanon, save Battler and then go back to being Shannon while in the closet?

No wonder Will didn't bother with the fifth and sixth games; they are not even close to have the heart.
lpf is offline   Reply With Quote