View Single Post
Old 2008-06-08, 21:02   Link #1065
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFlare View Post
Hmm, I'm not particularly sure about this theory myself, but from what I can gather, spatial expansion releases a huge amount of energy as it destabilizes, so yeah, I think it works.

Well, we all need to force some plot points nevertheless, so Yuuno missing isn't particularly out-of-the-ordinary. I think this experiment is going to produce some mighty good results, so it's feasible to work it out.
Ah kk, I'm still thinking about it, but dkellis did mention a Big Bang, just need to get to it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya View Post
That's what it looks like! *facepalms*

Edit:...Melon....Bread.....Melonbread
*facepalms harder*
Ah you finally got the joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
To expand on it a little, and I should mention again for clarification that this is entirely speculation on my part, my guess on how the Infinite Library works is something TARDIS-like: the inside is a lot bigger than the outside. It's easier to imagine it if you've played D&D before, and used Bags of Holding. (Suffice to say that "inside bigger than outside" concepts have been around long enough and often enough to be general, rather than specific references.)

Part of this is due to the Infinite Library containing so much information, be it in physical media such as books or some sort of "raw data", that special reinforced magic has to be put in place to eke out a region of "realspace", in much the same way the "realspace" of TSAB Main HQ can exist in the middle of interdimensional space. I can technobabble it up to explain how it all works, but the net result is that the Infinite Library is essentially a whole pocket dimension (which, in itself, is comprised of infinite number of other dimensions) squeezed into something the human brain can conceive.

It's hard to explain the concepts using general three-dimensional imagery. I have to say "it's bigger through" rather than "it's bigger outwards", and increasing the "realspace" of the Infinite Library from the whole Library-space superset isn't so much expanding it in volume (although in general this happens anyway, if only to provide space for new physical media), but rather suffusing more parts with "realness". Making it real, so to speak, and bringing concept into physical form.

Which was one reason why I miscalculated on where the Infinite Library was, since it made no sense to keep it in the middle of interdimensional space where only a very few could access it. (Think on the point of a library, rather than a mere collection of books.) I believed that the question of "where" was irrelevant, in much the same way one might ask "where does the colour blue come from?", but I was wrong.

Now, if anything disrupts the containment of the Infinite Library's realspace, events might be... interesting for a while, if only because so many possible things could happen. One scenario would be that realspace collapses into itself, and anyone stuck inside is trapped somewhere (alternate dimension, stasis, probability-space), if they even survive. Another would be that the realspace remains stable (I doubt it, but then it's not like I'm speaking from experience), but inaccessible, or perhaps gets shunted into a convenient side dimension. A particularly flashy scenario is that the realspace forms a "seed" from which more realspace can be formed, expanding quickly in the not-space of interdimensional space: this is otherwise known as a Big Bang.

This isn't all that I've pondered on the Infinite Library, but it's what I judged to be relevant to my stories, and so it's all I've actually put into words. There's still quite a bit more (I really like the concept of the Infinite Library, and am annoyed that the Nanoha-verse contains so little canon information on it), but I've probably missed some obvious-in-hindsight questions and flaws.
Yes I was thinking of a smaller Big Bang, though is it possible for it to first collapse, then erupt? Or should it just blow up right away? Do pardon me, I take Biology and only have basic physics, and never reached relativity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
That’s not an iron clad rule its still somewhat debated what the end state of the universe will be one theory was a “bug crunch” where in the expansion was slowed then began reversing and the universe collapsed back in on itself. As I recall though current findings indicate the universe lacks sufficient mass for this to occur though. Instead it seems likely it will expand forever until we basiclly run out of energy due to entropy and it falls apart… Shame the crunch would have been cooler IMO.

But basiclly what a space does depends entirely on the space in question our universe is expanding because it was propelled outward by the mother of all explosions and lacking any kind drag to slow it (besides mutual attraction from gravity which is proving too weak) has simply continued flying outward every since.

... Singularity's don't explode. Acutally the sheer MASS of something like that would be so immense that the energy required to uncompacting it would be pretty much beyond our ability our fathom. That much mass crushed down to that small size will want to STAY at that size. Acutally you'd probably need some kind of system to keep it from drawing in and crushing the station not keeping it from exploding!

See the above it IS massive which means that massive gravity would hold it together and give a density higher then even a super massive blackholes singularity... it's not going to what to come apart in the slightest.

Which dosen't exist is never even hinted at again this isn't the TSAB acutally it's almost assured since they had inter-dimensional space craft before they had the HQ. (how do you think they built the damn thing to start with?) Again this isn't 40k.

A few million perhaps IMO bad, but for a civilization with hundreds of planets still a minor event really.

I don't like the idea of the Brotherhood of Nod in Nanoha to start with and I like the idea of them somehow coming out of nowhere to cripple the entire TSAB even less. Besides which this plan probably wouldn't work anyway even if the HQ was knocked out large numbers of ships (probably the majority) are away from it at anytime and Nod probably has no navy to speak of... unless now in addition to having plot armor they also have the resource of hundreds of planets to draw on.

At best this is like setting off a nuke in say DC you kill allot of people and probably cause a fair bit of confusion, but contingencies exist for such things. I seriously doubt the TSAB has NO plan if they lose HQ militarys in peace time actually have little to do allot of the time expect make plans for even the most absurdly unlikely of scenarios. Acutally taking out the HQ isn't even as bad as the above since it seems like you might not even manage to decapitate the government with such a strike since that's based on Mid, and local ground forces and probably the Air Force as well are also based on planets and so likely have there entire chains of command intact. Which means they'd still be able to respond rapidly to any attempts at internal uprisings (which is Nods MO) and crush them rapidly since there is no way Nod is a match military for the TSAB even if the Navy is weakened.

It basiclly boils down the simple fact that in something as big as the TSAB or even a nation there really is no single target you can blow up and somehow totally cripple the entire thing. This is why Terrorism is ultimately pretty much dick waving rather then an effective military tactic it's never going to acutally militaryily defeat an enemy or even topple a stable government. At best it can win a political victory, but blowing up a symbol of a nation and killing millions of people is acutally just going to drive the target into a berserk rage. Seriously just ask Japan how that whole sneak attack against the heart of a superior foe thing went for them...

Never mind that I have serious issues seeing where and how Nod is going to get very large at all in Nanoha. After all Nod really only gained recruits in its home universe because of GDIs failure to control Tib for the most part. (With GDI increasing doing this and now having beat back an Alien invasion too boot Nods future is actually looking rather bleak IMO Kane may well see this and it could be why he seems to be transitioning to a mindless cyborg army…) There is no such impetus in the TSAB where the average citizen seems to enjoy a safe clean middle class existence... This dose not tend to breed a huge population of dissidents willing to take up arms against there rulers.

And Kane religious rhetoric is unlikely to find much appeal in what appears to be a by and largely secular society either. IMO Nod as seen in C&C simply could not exist in the TSAB it would at best be a small terrorist cult of perhaps a few hundred to thousand diehard members.

That's my take anyway, but I admittedly don't know what you're exact plan is.

Honestly he could go allot of places he fought in a full blown magic/conventional war so he could easily handle a position on the front line, but he also worked for over a decade as a sometime PI so he could swing investigations too. That said given the proliferation of potent Air Combat mages already on hand he'd probably find more use in the investigative side of things. (the fact he'd also likely work alone more would merely be a bonus...)

I've got to admit I was thinking of something more grandiose myself... Rebuilt seems to be staled, but I really like the idea of "StrikerS+OCs+More of everything..." *TK begins pondering...*

Can easily see it happening I acutally had a similar scene in my crack verse if you replace Franz with a Spartan III...
I'm still working out how it happens, but its more historical than out of nowhere. Basically, the Brotherhood of Nod preaches Ancient Belkaism, and positions itself in a way that appeals to believers of that force, just like Al Qaeda. Saint Church would be the moderate muslim equivalent. There are lots of Belka descent; in my Khrack prior to the collapse and at the height of it's power, the Belka empire was far bigger, much more badass, and a lot more influence than the current secular TSAB. Ever since the collapse, most of the Belka peoples ended up in outlying areas where TSAB support has been very limited due to resources and bureaucratic troubles of their own. Discrimination against Belka doesn't help (I'm bankrolling completely using Regius here, even though I'm stretching it out of proportion).

So you have lots and lots of disgruntled, poor and disillusioned people ripe for the picking, with lots and lots of places to hide. Even Jail managed to hide his labs under the very noses of TSAB without much stealth technology, much less the Brotherhood who have been battling TSAB for more than a century, accumulated and regularly smuggled weapons in from the outer realms, and know about every trick in the book about hiding. And the further the planet is from Midchilda, the less control TSAB has over it.

Of course, them springing out across every Blue Zone planet once the Main HQ is destroyed like in the game is completely out of whack for the size ratio. But making small psychologically effective strikes very quickly, like it is with the HQ, and rapidly taking down Midchilda, if they are not stopped, things will quickly collapse.

But that's if its his plan anyway. We all know Skane wanted suicide to do something else. And its got to do with the Tronium, which has also been seeded in the Yellow and Red zones, scattered by Precia's botched experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Geh, no time for backlog, but a small post in regards to how NOD can grow large in Nanoha, five words: Mass based weaponry and non-mages.

If you spread propaganda on how mages rule everything and provide alternatives to those without magic, one could reign in a lot of recruits.

Of course this is only a raw idea.
I have to agree with Tk here. Weapons don't give you hope. Belief does. Now twist that belief such that only with power do you have hope, for you have to remove whoever's in your way to paradise.

Wage Holy War. I believe this is what motivates terrorists to take up arms, if they believe in anything at all...

And...

If you thought that was the last of Fon Filia's Lyrical Party, it's time for...

Mahou Shounen Pimpin' YuunO
in
Two Perfect Girls
Spoiler for There's 2 Perfect Girls for me!: