View Single Post
Old 2012-05-01, 05:49   Link #74
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
I don't understand all this Zessica hate. Yes, her actions did lead to Mix being abducted and she unilaterally acted before an official decision was made. But I emphasize with her desire to act rashly.

But Zessica, up until that point, had some major problems. She loves Amata. This isn't some type of childish crush; Zessica felt deeply enough for Amata to confess to him and make Aquarion go berserk. As such, it's not that easy for her to get over the fact that Amata is completely enamored with another girl. But at the end of last episode, she was trying her best anyways. So take away Amata and what does Zessica have left? Her skills as a pilot. At the end of last episode, and throughout this episode, Zessica has been trying hard to focus on piloting her Vector in order to not think about Amata. However, that's easier said than done and as we see when she comes out of training in the middle of the night, she's dispirited. I assume that during training, Zessica was discouraged by her progress/skill and thus, without something to distract her from thinking about Amata, it's easy to regress back to moping; she's in love after all.

So Zessica now sees herself as a burden, and there's nothing she can do about it. She reevaluates her piloting skills after that training session, getting beat by Izumo, and getting reprimanded for being too hot-headed, all of which points to her incompetence. On the romantic side, she is the third wheel between Amata and Mikono, who have mutual feelings for each other. And yet Zessica can't help but feel how she does and act on those feelings.

When Izumo says that they need a strong Igura and offers a diplomatic solution, Zessica feels that she can now contribute to Neo-DEAVA and its people once again. Since her skills as a pilot are no longer needed, and she is only getting between Amata and Mikono, what better thing to do than to remove herself from the equation altogether? At the same time, she would help end the conflict between Altair and Vega and in the process gets to reaffirm that she is indeed a strong Rare Igura. Whereas moments before Izumo spoke, Zessica was stuck, powerless to do anything to improve her situation, she now has found an almost impeccable solution.
I agree with you, her behavior is understandable, out of despair. I mean, she tried hard to go forward. Or better, she said it to convince herself and the others, but to make it short "that's easier said than done", but in my country we have another saying that goes like "there is an ocean between saying and doing" that fits bit better. She tried to put her usually genki mask but she had no more energy to keep going or hope to rely on. And she even hasn't anybody to speak with. In that regard I'd say Zessica has the "friendly with everyone, but friend with no one" attitude. Even Mix is not something I can call a friend.
And after all of that, now Zessica has even the burden of being the cause of Mix abduction. Because whoever has to be blame for, she will feel guilty.

Even talking about Amata and Mikono dynamics, it could be annoying, but given the abandon issues Amata is dragging around, it is quite understandable that he fears to face Mikono on the real deal. He is scared that facing THAT, Mikono will tell him that she will leave him for THAT someone else. So, he is so condescending with her.
On the other hand, as Ceyenne has said, Mikono fears that speaking her out would make people mad or hurting them. And in this case she fears (rightly I'd say) that her being confused would hurt him. So they are stuck in this dynamic But in the preview it seems that as always Mikono will step forward, and not Amata for one. Anyways, after her "you can send me home" line I can't blame her for anything for a while

So, I guess that the character dynamics are well made, it is how they are mixed together with the whole that feels over the place.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.