View Single Post
Old 2007-10-13, 09:43   Link #598
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
I'm talking about production values of the anime, not DVD cost per unit - the simmilar price to Geass is why I feel Gainax is taking a fall. If they're not, GL is more economical than we would have thought and Sunrise is just a bunch of fat-cat bastards.

My estimate for GL's budget. Normal anime is typically $50,000 per episode, twenty six episodes are $1,300,000 total. Afro Samurai, considered the most expensive OVA made per episode, is $1,000,000 per episode at five. Spread out amongst twenty six would be $192,307.

This places GL's budget within the $50,000 - $192,000 bracket for cost on average. Thus, IMO, GL is either 100K or 150K per episode - either 2.6M or 3.9M for the series total.

Hmm. I take back what I said about GL not doing that well in sales. Even with a budget like that, with consistent sales in the 20K range I think Gainax will repay its debt pretty quickly.

Why is Seto so expensive?
Yeah, well I'm pretty sure Gainax knows how to make money to feed itself one way or the other.
(I'm sure there are a lot of other suckers like me who are being leeched off by Gainax. At least overseas. In Japan, the otakus are loaded with cash.)

As for Seto... Avex Trax makes the dvds. Every limited edition comes with at least an extra Dvd or 2 cds so far, so yeah I think it's the freebies that make the dvds expensive. However the standard editions are still steep, at around 7000 yen. So don't ask me how Avex Trax came up with those price tags.