View Single Post
Old 2009-11-19, 17:36   Link #60
chounokoe

Send a message via MSN to chounokoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
That the lady does nothing suggests to me that the scene is fake. Maria's overreacting memory perhaps.
As far as I know Rosa does not do anything that calls for 'calling the cops', at least in the 80's...I'm not to good concerning modern Japanese child protection laws, but around that time it may have been deemed improper to discipline children through violence, but it wasn't as a severe case as it is today.

That woman there was from the service of child protection, so the police officer went quite far to tell the truth. Rosa could have been placed with charges of neglecting her child, but we can see that that lady is seriously running low on options to charge Rosa on anything.
Maria is neither in a bad physical state nor is she visibly hurt as it seems, Rosa is providing her with a home, food and a good education...back then as far as I'm informed that was what parenting was about, child protection was still a growing (but relatively small) field.
There are theories around even today, if that woman would have taken Maria away without any hesitation it could have broken Maria even more, because she clearly loves her MOTHER Rosa...and as long as the child is not asking to be taken away herself, there's not much to do.
And of course Japan is still very heavily influenced by respect in front of home privacy. Rosa forced her out, so in the end she had to get out...I think that lady already pushed to the limits by not going directly when Rosa asked.