View Single Post
Old 2016-08-16, 04:34   Link #4
novalysis

Here's a thought. The group currently stands at six members, and interestingly, almost every member joined Aqours because Chika offered them something. For Riko, it was a way for her to return to music, to spend the hiatus that she took away from the Piano in something related to music, as a way for Riko to recover her muse. For Ruby, Chika offered the girl a chance to live out her dreams and passion for taking the stage as a school-idol. For Hanamaru, Aqours is a chance for her to finally be a protagonist, rather than the self-image she has as a passive observer. For Yohane, Aqours is a sanctuary for her to freely indulge in her eccentricities with the promise of acceptance, and the lack of judgement.

But there is one interesting exception to this pattern among the six first and second years. The only basis You has in Aqours, seems to be her friendship with Chika. It makes me wonder whether this friendship is going to undergo strain in the coming episodes, especially as Riko draws closer to Chika. Interestingly, the one person we see Chika continually pouring her heart out to is Riko, and not You. It makes me wonder just how aware You is about the burdens of leadership and expectations, that seems to be slowly weighing down on Chika. If Chika ever starts having self-doubt, it won't come as a shock to Riko. I'm not sure about You.

I am aware that the Aquarium PV does seem to imply that Chika and You's friendship will be tested in some way. And I have a suspicion that the fact that Chika offered You essentially nothing, to be in Aqours (You infact, volunteered on her own out of friendship), and is drawing closer to Riko while seemingly interacting less with You; is a set-up for some kind of character drama and development, revolving around the friendship of You, and Chika, and Riko's entrance into Chika's life.

At the very least, I do expect that the issue of what Aqours is to You, and how the inclusion of Riko and the First Years are altering the dynamics between the friendship of You and Chika, is going to be explored down the line.

Last edited by novalysis; 2016-08-16 at 11:32.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote