View Single Post
Old 2012-11-04, 15:53   Link #66
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
The unemployment thing: Is it that nobody is unemployed because business and the economy are booming and there's jobs for all, or is it that nobody is allowed to be unemployed but is instead sent on pointless 'make-work' tasks to tweak the figures?
My faith in the writer is not as strong as that of many other viewers. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that he didn't actually think much about this. It's very possibly the latter option, that people are assigned to pointless tasks to create "full employment".

After all, it seems to me that the writer hasn't even been very consistent in the way he uses Psycho-pass numbers and Crime Coefficients, or even the Hue readings, for that matter. They seem synonymous with each other and yet seem to be different things.

In the end though, if I were to suspend disbelief and simply take the facts at face value, I'd say it appears that the economy is booming in the Psycho-pass universe. So, there is probably nearly full employment because of a healthy economy, and not because people are being assigned to pointless tasks. We don't see anyone engaged in such tasks, while we do see evidence of people who have fallen through the cracks. Slums exist in this world, as was evident in Ep1. I think the idea is that the Sibyl System eliminates the guess work from career choice, making it possible to always assign people to where a job needs to be done. Hence, full employment.

In other words, the Sibyl System has created a perfect central-planning economic system, where very little is wasted.