View Single Post
Old 2010-05-28, 06:17   Link #1963
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
My feelings towards Rebuild have ranged everywhere from indifference to excitement to nerd-rage, sometimes in combination. I am left very confused by Anno's intentions with this film and where he was planning to go in the first place.

If he wanted to remake Evangelion, as a treat to old fans and a gateway for new fans, he is doing a piss poor job. If he is just trying to completely reimagine the series, I don't understand why he needs to go back to milk the Evangelion franchise all over again, unless his sole intention is to line his pockets with cash.
Your description of the character changes in Eva 2.22 looks spot on to me. The question that pops in to my head now is why? Evangelions cast has spawned many lesser copies throughout modern anime, and it's surprising these stereotypes have seemingly replaced the original characters in Eva 2.22.

I don't believe for one second that Anno threw out his artistic integrity just to cash in on Eva, the man is way to stubborn for that. There is no need for it either, as the originals even today are largely succesfull, so I don't buy the gateway theory at all. Nor do his recent works in anime and movies suggest a switch to simple generic works. Anno may go for a tie-in with the original at some point like Top wo Nerae! and Top wo Nerae 2! did or maybe a total mindfuck in the third or fourth installment. Anno already fooled his critics once in End of Eva, he may do it again. Still, I'm just going to enjoy the ride and reserve judgement till the fourth movie is completed. Anything can happen, this is Eva and the unpredictability is part of the charm.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote